It’s quite a few weeks since I promised I’d write a guide to trying out the Kopete Telepathy plugin, but better late than never…
The current state of the code is as follows:
- 1-1 text chat using telepathy-gabble (jabber/xmpp/google talk) is the only form of communication implemented.
- This is still very much playground-quality software, so expect it to be full of bugs and crashes. However, it is now mature enough that I’d really appreciate reports for any bugs you find (Please report them to bugs.kde.org product ‘Telepathy’ and component ‘kopete-protocol-telepathy’). Only yesterday did a bug where messages were sent to the wrong people come to light, so be careful what you say until it’s more stable!
Prerequisites (compile in this order, or use distro packages where available):
- Telepathy Mission Control 5 (at least version 5.2.2, preferably version 5.3.1+) source code here
- Telepathy Gabble (at least version 0.7.27, preferably version 0.8.3+, avoid 0.9.x releases for now) source code here
- Telepathy Qt4 (version 0.1.9 required) source code here
- Telepathy accounts kcm (from svn, svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/playground/network/telepathy-accounts-kcm )
- Telepathy accounts kcm plugins (from svn, svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/playground/network/telepathy-accounts-kcm-plugins)
- Trunk version of Kopete (will not build against KDE 4.3)
Getting the Kopete plugin:
- Source code at svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/playground/network/kopete
- Compile using the usual KDE methods.
- If the share-my-desktop plugin fails to build, ignore this, or comment it out in the CMakeLists.txt file.
- run “kbuildsycoca4” in a konsole so that Kopete picks up the new plugin.
Trying out the Kopete plugin:
- Launch Telepathy Mission Control (still needs to be done by hand unfortunately): Run in a konsole: “/usr/local/libexec/mission-control-5” (or wherever you installed mission-control-5 to)
- Launch Kopete.
- Create a new account in Kopete, select the “Telepathy” protocol, and follow the instructions.
- Try it out🙂
- Report any bugs you find to help us make it better, or ask for help in #kde-telepathy on freenode if you have any problems.